Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)
Ginkgo biloba, aka maidenhair, is a prehistoric tree that is native to China. Some consider it to be a “living fossil” because it’s the sole survivor of an ancient order of plants(!). In traditional Chinese medicine it was used to “open channels of energy to different organ systems”, including the brain. Today, its antioxidant-rich leaves are a key ingredient in our Think bars.
We use this medicinal herb for enhancing mental performance and focus. Our resident herbalist explained that Ginkgo biloba improves cerebral circulation and has a rare ability to “move, disperse and deliver other herbs” throughout your body. This contributes to the synergistic effects it has with the other herbs we’ve blended it with; lion’s mane, bacopa, and rhodiola rosea.
Though it only grows wild in Eastern China, you can find Ginkgo biloba trees lining the streets of New York and other temperate cities. Before harvesting some, please note: the leaves are toxic when they are green. If you want to make a DIY tincture, wait until they’ve turned yellow and have fallen to the ground – that is when you’ll be able to reap the benefits without any risk.
We found 8298 studies on Ginkgo Biloba. Research suggests it may:
- Improve brain function and increase mental performance
- Have a protective effect on brain health
- Improve circulation and increase blood flow to various parts of the body, including the brain
- Help reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Help treat headaches and migraines caused by stress or reduced blood flow
- Help reduce inflammation, specifically in people with conditions like arthritis, IBD, cancer, and heart disease
- Help prevent strokes
- Improve heart health
You can find 200 mg of Ginkgo biloba in our Think bars.