Super Berry / Medicinal herb
Hawthorn berries are small tangy fruits with calming, relaxing effects. They are also thought to promote healthy digestion and heart health.
A key herb in traditional Chinese medicine, these berries have been used to lower blood pressure for thousands of years. But that’s a bit of over-simplification. As our resident herbalist explained, hawthorn is an amphoteric herb, which means its effects adjust based on what your body needs; if you have high blood pressure, hawthorn helps bring it down and if you have low blood pressure, hawthorn helps pick it up. (If you want to go down a how-are-plants-this-cool-and-smart wormhole, google “amphoteric herbs”).
Hawthorn is also classified as a “shen tonic,” which is a term used in traditional Chinese medicine for herbs that have direct and positive effects on the nervous system and “spiritual heart."
We found 1724 studies on Hawthorn. Research suggests it may:
- Have a mild sedative effect
- Help reduce anxiety levels
- Have anti-inflammatory properties
- Lower blood pressure
- Improve heart function
- Decrease symptoms like shortness of breath, fatigue, and heart palpitations in people with heart failure
- Lower the risk of some cancers, heart problems, premature skin aging, asthma, type 2 diabetes and more
- Improve (decrease) blood fat levels
- Feed the healthy bacteria in your gut
- Aid digestion, alleviate indigestion, relieve constipation
- Have protective anti-ulcer effects on the stomach
- Promote healthy hair growth
Prevent hair loss
You can find 300 mg of hawthorn in our Chill bars.