Reishi (Ganoderma lingzhi)
Reishi is an adaptogenic mushroom that balances our immune systems and helps ward off illnesses. It also helps us relax, calm down, and center ourselves. That’s why it’s used in both our Protect and Chill bars.
As for it’s immune-related effects: Reishi is considered both preventative and protective. Our resident herbalist explained that it is amphoteric, meaning it has a different effect on your immune system depending on what your body needs. So, if you have a weak immune system, it would help stimulate and strengthen it. But if you have a hyperactive immune system (autoimmune issues, allergies, eczema, etc.) it would help lower the reaction.
On the Calm-Down front, Reishi is known to promote a peaceful demeanor. Our herbalist said it makes her feel like “she has meditated for a lifetime and is able to tap into a deep well of peace”. She also pointed out that Reishi is considered a “shen tonic” in Traditional Chinese Medicine; the shen is the spirit believed to reside in the heart – the “radical seed of consciousness”. Some people consume this mushroom to help restore shen and drop down to their heart space.
We found 748 studies on Reishi. Research suggests it may:
- Boost the immune system
- Reduce fatigue, depression, and anxiety
- Help fight and perhaps prevent cancer
- Improve well-being and quality of life
- Increase activity in white blood cells, including in “natural killer cells”, which fight cancer and infections
- Improve lymphocyte function, which also helps fight cancer and infections
- Decrease the size and number of tumors
- Improve heart health